Friday, May 23, 2008

Sleep


Sleep... oh how I miss a good snooze. Not that getting up in the middle of the night is all that bad, in some ways it's kind of magical. It's just that my Cinderella clock doesn't strike at midnight - it strikes at 6:30 am - a bit too early for me to wake up for good, when I've already been awake 3 times during the night.

So, in honor of my long lost friend, who hopefully will be returning soon, I have made a little list of facts about sleep.

1) Sleep is your brain's best housekeeper. When you don't get enough sleep, there are proteins in your brain cells that do not get folded proplerly (compare it to a teenager's messy room. Yikes!) So sleeping helps keep things neat and tidy, so your brain can function. Now when I'm cranky and tired, I tell Travis that my proteins didn't get folded properly, and I need a housekeeper (aka a nap).

2) Sleeping a continuous 6 hours causes a release of growth hormone (which has received a lot of press lately. Someone should have told this to Roger Clemens a while ago.) HGh is pretty cool - it helps decrease body fat, and maintain muscle tissue.

3) A lot of of animals use a sleeping technique where they can rest or sleep half their brain at a time. If you ever get a chance to watch ducks sleep, it is pretty cool. They can sleep with one eye open (hence the Metallica song on my list - I detest Metallica, but how cool is it that they wrote a song about unihemispheric slow-wave sleep!). One half of their brain checks out, while the other is totally active, keeping watch for predators, or for Travis trying to get rid of them before the triathlon. Although they say that humans can't do this, I'm still trying to perfect the technique.

4) A new baby typically results in 400-750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year...but so worth it!

5) The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

6) Experts say one of the most alluring sleep distractions is the 24-hour accessibility of the internet. What am I doing blogging? I'm going to bed.

*I got some of the cool stuff on this post from a radio lab podcast on sleep. If you want to think I'm really smart, then don't listen to it. But if you are curious and want to hear more, go to this link.



16 comments:

john said...

sweet, sweet sleep.
and sweet, sweet radio lab.

john said...

"Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening" is my Gram's favorite poem, or so she has told me for years. It always makes me think of her. But, for now, it makes me think you guys too.

"the woods are lovely dark and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep,
and miles to go before I sleep."

you may have found your blog co-chair.

Nau Willis said...

I beg to differ on the decrease of weight during sleep Ive been sleeping tons and I still look the same! lol!j/k......thanks for that info!

heidi said...

John,
I would be honored to have Robert Frost as my blog co-chair. And what a great poem - it has always kind of given me the chills.

kate said...

Ok...first thought on pulling up your blog: How is Luke so big??

I'm almost done with month #5, and we're (mostly..knock on wood) done with the middle of the night stuff. So, it really doesn't last forever...even though it feels like it will. I'd also like to amend the amount of sleep lost by parents...in my house Alex's lost sleep in MUCH less. Alex has woken up many times to say, "Wow...he slept through the night" only to be met with my very icey (and baggy eyed) and stare.

John, nice Frost reference. It makes up for that horrible "your" mistake earlier. Actually, years of reading dumb kids' papers have imprinted that mistake on my writing...quite embarrassing.

kate said...

oops...sorry about the extra "and"

heidi said...

Kate, you are absolutely right. The lost hours of sleep should refer to moms. Travis has since taken up residence in his upstairs "bachelor pad", and is currently looking for a black light and lava lamp to complete the room.

Treidi said...

don't forget the beads and incense you promised.

Kathryn and Bruce said...

The Captain said,
I look at that boy sleeping and ask myself,
How many buildings did he leap in a single bound?
How many times did he jump off the planter?
How many stairs did he climb?
And how many dragons did he slay with his bow and arrow,
To work himself into such a state of sleep?

Sleep on Luke, your mother deserves it.
Love Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Like I said before I do think of you when it is the middle of the night. It is only for a second and then my thoughts to turn please hurry up and eat so I can go back to bed! How is Miles sleeping for you? Any long stretches of sleep (more then 2 hours that is)?
I sure wish we lived by you guys. Then our boys could play together at 6:30 a.m. That seems to be the magical number in our house too. I am starting to get out of the honeymoon phase of a new baby and am just tired. So fun. I hope all is well for you guys! Bri

Kathryn and Bruce said...

Heidi,
I didn't know those fascinating facts about sleep. I hope that I am not committing a commenting faux pa by requesting a blog...., but I was thinking that you could blog about the research regarding a child's imagination. When you were telling me I thought that it was interesting and others may enjoy it too. It brings playing house, dress-up, superheros, etc. to whole new level.
P.S. Travis, I know that you are busy, but we've all missed reading a Triedi post. We do love the pictures of Miles while we wait.

Whitney Rice said...

First off luke is adorable. Second I am a sucker for a good nap. I love a good three/four slumber. I will come up soon so you can get in a good coma of sleep.

Cheri said...

Wow, I love you for writing that I could even compare to Reese Witherspoon!

Great shot to go with the post on sleep. That total lack of sleep with a new baby is something I don't fondly look back on.

Trisha Paddock said...

Luke looks so angelic--just looking at him makes me want to go to sleep!

I just love what Kate said about her husband waking up many times to say, "Wow...he slept through the night"...how funny is that! And all this time I seriously thought Ryan was going deaf!!!

I love reading your posts Heidi and I must say that I enjoy reading the comments on your blog. They are absolutely entertaining.

Gaylari said...

THanks for all the insight. I believe it about how much sleep you lose with a newborn. Hope you catch up soon!

cristie said...

Wow, do you think if sleep is the brain's best housekeeper that maybe that can also account for my lack of real housekeeping skills? : )

It's fun to see how big Luke is getting! Here's hoping we get to see you when we come to Utah in August.