Saturday, June 26, 2010

Birthday Run

I turned the big 3-0 this year and I wanted it to be memorable. So, I hired the best race director in the state and he put on a fantastic race just for me. (this isn't the first time this has happened, and I wouldn't be surprised if something bigger came of it...). I digress. My dad dropped me and Trav off in Malibu at Pepperdine and we had quite an adventure. I ran down highway one, running right by the ocean and hundreds of Range Rovers and Priuses (Priusi? would that be plural?). Then we wound our way through the back residential neighborhoods of Santa Monica, passed 3 American Apparel stores, ran through homeless row and Muscle Beach in Venice, under the planes taking off at LAX, past Hermosa Pier, and ended at 28th street for a surprise finish line and lunch at Marthas. I got my favorite - portobello mushroom sandwich with goat cheese and fries. He mapped out the perfect course. Kate, my cross country coach sister-in-law, wrote messages for me in chalk along the strand to keep me going. Kind of wish I was turning 28 instead of 30, but a little help from Rage Against the Machine got me through it. Travis invited lots of friends and family to be at the finish line. It was one of the best "races" I have ever run. Thanks Travis and crew for making 30 so great!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Alan said...

Great job Heidi-

Love the video, Travis did a good job.

I feel dumb cause I just blogged about my first 1/2 marathon. I got tired thinking of Travis biking 30 miles let alone you running it...

Great post.

Ashley C. said...

You are the coolest person I know, seriously. I am in awe.

Love you guys. So happy we got to hang out!!

kate said...

Everyone should know that runners need help DURING the race, not so much at the end. Glad I could take part :). Although eating with you wasn't as fun...so jealous of the deep calorie debt you'd created...

Help me think of something cool to do for 4-0? You've got, um, 15 years to think about it :).

john said...

my thoughts:
1. hard core. for sure.
2. The Domestique pulling the ballon behind his bike was amazing.
3. I am not really surprised about this event happening or about it being documented in such spectacularly hip fashion. This is what I have come to expect from Treidi.

Matt and Kay Jones said...

Adorable! Such an awesome run... you guys are our favorites!