I love visiting my Grandma Spencer when I come to California. When I was there the other day, I was looking around, looking at pictures and other stuff (I found this one from their wedding - I have always loved it) I found a note my grandpa wrote "to Beverly", my grandma. *
It was a poem titled "If". It is cute how in love they always were. Plus, I have a very dry sense of humor, so I think the poem is witty and hilarious. So this is my flashback Friday (I'll post funny pictures of my bad hair and awkward stages later, I promise).
If I were a monk, and you a nun,
Our lives would know but little fun.
But if without the least intention
We chanced to meet at a Catholic convention,
We'd fall in love! Our hearts would leap
And soar and ring and whirl and reap
The rich rewards of knowing joy
That can exist for girl and boy.
But then we'd have to leave the church,
Leave vows and orders in the lurch,
And join some group more temperate
That wouldn't require us celibate.
For hearts that surge in consonance
Would much prefer incontinence
If you were a nun, and I were a monk,
My plans for tonight would really be sunk.
D.J.S.
Our lives would know but little fun.
But if without the least intention
We chanced to meet at a Catholic convention,
We'd fall in love! Our hearts would leap
And soar and ring and whirl and reap
The rich rewards of knowing joy
That can exist for girl and boy.
But then we'd have to leave the church,
Leave vows and orders in the lurch,
And join some group more temperate
That wouldn't require us celibate.
For hearts that surge in consonance
Would much prefer incontinence
If you were a nun, and I were a monk,
My plans for tonight would really be sunk.
D.J.S.
* Random Beverly quote from when I was over at her house. We were sitting at the kitchen table just talking about something very normal, like bringing in groceries from the car, and then she dropped one of my favorite new lines:
"Superman, I am not. Batman, I am not. Beverly, I am." I love my grandma.





6 comments:
awesome poem. i love stuff like that. Things that give meaning and personality to the past. I got a bunch of used old philosophy books from a house we were working on, and they are just packed with notes. Old, faded, blue ink notes all over the place. Things like "Nitche- that fink!" I love it. I wish I knew her. How cool to have such a timeless reminder of your grandparents young love.
in other news, beach week is coming up so prepare yourselves.
it just wouldn't be the same without you.
that sounds like a lame guilt trip sentence, which it was not meant to be...
i'll shut up now.
That is a great poem!
One of my favorite funnies from my Grandm (who is turning 100 in Dec.) is soon after I had the twins. In one of her letters, she said, "How's the Jersey?" (yes I was nursing).
That poem is so funny. Hey I left a message on Travs cel. We are coming up to Utah the first weekend in Oct. Yahoo! We can finally hang out with you guys! I think that we were in California the same time. Too bad I didn't figure it out sooner so we could have met up. Oh well. :(
I love this picture of Grandma and Grandpa; it is just so classy.
I love Grandma's funny quotes... Oh Beverly
hey, we're here.
call us.
that is so sweet (and funny). i also LOVE that picture. thanks so much for the pictures you took of the kids...you are really good.
Post a Comment