As my super reader Luke would say, "Good question." *
I was thinking about it, because I'm logging some serious time in the feeding trenches, and this is what I do...
1. I watch Arrested Development - sponsored by Kristin and her trip to China. Bold statement, but hands down the funniest TV show (don't judge me too much if you don't think they are funny, and consider the time and circumstances that I watch the show). I'm trying to get a group together to be the characters for Halloween. I can't decide if I want to be Lucille (1 or 2) or Lindsay.
2.A personal favorite, I have downloaded podcasts of "This American Life" and "Radio Lab" on my ipod. Even though I'm only part awake (see previous post about unihemispheric slow-wave sleep) they are such a treat. 
3. I ride the bull. I used to watch the students in organic chemistry or the bishopric who sit on the stand after early meetings slowly relax their necks and then suddenly jerk awake, and I thought it was so funny. Now, I do it all the time. **

4. I read, usually nothing too heavy because I would end up re-reading the same paragraph over and over. I usually read "The Week", a pretty fun magazine that highlights what has happened during the week all over the world. They also have great music reviews and random tidbits, like the woman who sat on her boyfriend's toilet for 2 years straight - no joke. She had to have the seat surgically removed.


5. Sometimes when I'm really crazy, I pretend I'm in the army. When I wash my breast pump (sorry if this is a blog faux pas, using the word "breast pump" - sorry, I just used it twice. my apologies), I lay it out to dry. When it's laying there, each piece on a towel on the counter, I time myself to see how fast I can assemble it, like a soldier assembling his AK-47. I'm getting pretty fast.
*To be read in the voice of Wyatt, member of the Super Readers on PBS kids
**This comment is a perfect opportunity for Phillip to make a comment defending bishoprics everywhere, or make a reference to some sort of midnight rodeo competition...




15 comments:
Sorry to stalk for a while. Congratulations on your new addition! Sorry about the sleep deprivation! Your breast pump (oops, I typed it, too) assembly cracked me up! Maybe you can even set a world record!
ok number five has me in stitches!!! Go GI JANE!!! lol!
Arrested Development is funny enough that I (almost) wished I was still feeding Hamilton at night, so I could come watch with you.
One of my proudest moments is when, after watching me assemble a bottle, you said you'd consider me a fellow soldier. Everyone, that's a big deal...Heidi's really, really good.
I am going to make a bid right now to be George Michael or Buster but I think most people will want to compete to be Buster. I still like our Royal Tenenbaums halloween outfit. I wanted to be Richie and Travis, luke, and Miles could be Chaz, Ari, and Uzi
I love arrested development. I can't decide who is my favorite... Buster or Tobias. Buster is just so awkward that I can relate him, but Tobias is a never nude- love those jean cut offs.
Kristy,
I'm always up for blog stalking. How else would everyone get connected? It's fun to see what everyone is up to.
Nau, I am "lol"ing as I read your comment. Next, the one handed push up.
Kate, You are my sista soldier.
Jack, I forgot about the Tenenbaums. Maybe if I could be Gwyneth...
Whit, Tobias freaks me out, to be honest. I think it just put me over the edge when he got those hair plugs and they started taking over his body. Icky!
can I be Gob as a hot cop? or just regular Gob on my segway?
i want to be lucille 2.i love that crazy lady.
ps- i am so impressed with your night activities. i was just telling john that when i woke up to feed my kids i did it while still half asleep- and stayed half asleep the entire time. no assembling breast pumps, furthering my knowledge of something, or catching some great tv. just pure laziness. i should take lessons from you on how to maximize my time. you are so amazing.
I was going to do a blog on the exact same subject except...
I am typically in the third REM stage of sleep dreaming away. Not too much to write about
zzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
Shoot all the good characters are taken. I might fight Ashley for Lucille 2 just because her and I share a common vertigo problem.
I have seen your little layout of breast pump materials and you m'am run a tight ship...I promoting you to Sgt. Snyder. At ease.
I can't believe that you actually want to do something when you are up in the middle of the night. I am in denial that I am actually awake and try really hard to sleep while I am the process of being a human feeding machine. Plus I am afraid if I actually did something I would wake up too much and have a hard time going back to sleep. You are amazing.
Bri,
I'm glad you think I'm amazing for watching a TV show and listening to my ipod. You are too kind. I actually do all this stuff because when I had Luke, I was afraid to go to sleep, and I had anxiety knowing that I would have to get up in a couple hours, or less. If I make it feel like a party, it's not so bad. Just a coping mechanism.
Love the breast pump thing...awesome. Great blog! Love to see pics of the kids! Teri
We have tried to give Travis copies of Arrested Development to watch for a while now... it is also our favorite show. Just so you know, I read yours and Travis' blog faithfully, I am just not great at posting comments... good stuff Heidi.
Post a Comment