Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Favorite Things


So, every so often Oprah puts out a list of her favorite things and does the famous "Favorite Things" episode.



Although there will be no cashmere sweaters or exploding heads (see above link) I thought I would share a few of my favorite things.

1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - This really is the best book I have read. I won't say too much about it because it just won't come out right, but I linked an article from THE Dr. Phillip Snyder.(side note: Phil, aka Grandpa Phillip, is responsible for introducing favorites years before they become popular, such as Cormac McCarthy, Dave Matthews Band, and his classic BBQ baked beans - maybe he should post some of his favorite things...)

2. NPR - So many amazing programs: Wait wait ... don't tell me, Science Friday (yes, I am a science geek and proud of it), Fresh Air, Morning Edition, the list goes on and on. npr.org

3. Rimmel Mascara - It is probably one of the cheapest mascaras, but I love it more than MAC, Estee Lauder (sorry Gwyneth), Clinique, or any of those $25 mascaras. And now I have my sisters hooked on it, too. And it totally makes you look like Kate Moss (minus the drugs).

4. Iron & Wine, The Trapeze Swinger - This quite possibly could be my favorite song ever. I know, a bold statement. Just a warning, if you listen to it, listen to the "clean" version as there is an "artistic expression" in the song (but somehow his mellow voice doesn't make it sound bad).

5. Granite Cleaner - I love the Method Brand granite cleaner. It smells amazing, and won't ruin your granite like other cleaners. You can get it at Target or Lowes.

6. Electric toothbrush - So, we got electric toothbrushes for Christmas, and let me tell you, it's the gift that keeps on giving. It even gives you a picture of a smiley face when you have brushed the Dentist recommended 2 minutes.

7. Mizuno running shoes - I tried lots of other brands, and they gave me foot problems. Since my first pair of Mizunos a few years ago, I have never gone back, and have never had a single foot problem.

8. My Grandmother's Strawberry Shortcake - Every year for my birthday my Grandmother would make us any cake we wanted. I (like Kristin) always picked strawberry shortcake. A year or two before my Grandpa died, I got him to mail me the secret recipe. I love looking at his handwriting each time I make it.

9. The extra flavored chips at the bottom of the bag. Simply amazing.

10. Shopping with my mom - she has a gift for finding amazing things at amazing prices - don't ever pass up the chance to go with her to Macy's.

11. Cupcake containers - At Walmart (not one of my favorite things) if you go to the bakery department, you can buy the plastic cupcake containers, 5 for $1. That way when you bring them to people, they look super cute and don't move all over the place.




PS - Luke does an amazing impersonation of Oprah. Just ask him to say "George Clooney" and you will be blown away. Scary, especially since he has never seen Oprah.






13 comments:

Matt and Kay Jones said...

Heidi... You've inspired me! I love reading things like this because it lends so much insight into a person! I have to say that one mine and Matt's favorite things is... The Snyders... We miss you guys and can't wait to see you again next time we are in UT. In the meantime... hang in there with the baby... you still look adorable!

Cheri said...

What a great, well-rounded list. I'm glad for the book recommendation since I'm always looking for a good book. And as much as I've heard about Cormac McCarthy, I have yet to pick up one of his books.

Next time I'm in LA I'm calling your mom to take me shopping!

Treidi said...

I'd like to nominate myself as favorite #12


please?

jackie boy said...

What a lovely post, when I think of Heidi some of those things definitely pop into my head. I am surprised your new bee isn't on there though.

kate said...

First off...I saw that you'd posted something new yesterday, but I would have been too rushed too read it, so I saved as a special treat today...because your blog is one of my favorite things.

Also...

*I am definitely going to try that mascara...
*I miss NPR...I guess I CAN listen to it when I'm NOT in the car...
*I was kind of disappointed not to see whiskers on kittens or warm wollen mittens make the list.
*What's the new bee Jack is referring to?

Ashley C. said...

i love heidi's favorites. how fun. where can i buy that great mascara? what a fun post. you are so hip and fun. i just love you!

john said...

Speaking of npr, have you ever listened to radiolab? I think you'd like it. It's like the love child of Ira Glass (This American Life) and Ira Flato (Science Friday.) Part great human stories, part scientific analysis. give it a try.
hopefully we'll see you and the fam tonight.

kate said...

I just fled to the Internet to take a break from the Carolina-Kansas game...oh my goodness.

Anyway, here's an additonal comment...

I LOVE "The Trapeze Singer." In my mind I have a list of my 10 favorite songs...it's definitely in there (even the artistic version :) ). "Fake Plastic Trees" has been there for awhile as well.

Well, back to supporting the Heels. Am I being punished for not making Alex go to the Priesthood session of Conference?

heidi said...

John,
I don't think I have ever listened to radio lab, but I visited the website, and the first thing I saw was a scientist who tattooed the molecular structure of testosterone on to his forearm. Needless to say, I am now a dedicated listener.

Anonymous said...

Heidi... thanks for the cupcake container tip. Actually Ashley told me and so I checked out your blog. I should have gone to the Walmart near you... I got charged a dollar a box... but it was for a good cause: a Junior High after-school cooking class. They went wild over the boxes... so it was worth the expense. Thanks and hope you and Travis are doing well. Take care.

King Family said...

okay-so am i lame that i am sick of npr...it is really negative lately.
need to try the mascara

melbo said...

Love npr, but everything else is news to me. Thanks for the recommendations- I will try them all! I trust everything that you would give the thumbs up to to be awesome.

john said...

i'm hoping there's no new blog because you are busy delivering a baby.