As I was leaving the voting booth today, it made me think of a memory from mine and Kristin's childhood: Mrs. Banks in her straw had, blue dress and sash singing the Sister Suffragette lyrics "Votes for women!" I always thought that part of the movie was so funny for 2 reasons: 1) to see Mrs. Banks sing so sweetly "though we adore men individually, we believe that as a group they're rather stupid" and 2) how weird that women couldn't vote in England. Obviously as I got older, I realized that it wasn't just in England that women's suffrage was taking place. I am grateful for women like Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, those amazing "feminists" (a dirty word around these here parts of town) who organized a movement for equality. Because of them, I was able to drive around Payson for 30 minutes looking for a hidden elementary school (I mean, come on, do they really want people to vote?), walk up to the table, show my ID, have the lady writing down my name just assume I was a republican, and have the other lady next to her created a "stop the presses" moment saying, "No, no, she's a democrat," rather loudly for her sweet, hard of hearing partner, and cast my vote, all while a 3 year old is sitting in time out, throwing toys and his jacket at other people waiting in line to cast their votes. (Sorry for the run-on sentence and any punctuation errors, English teachers). But it was worth it, and I wore my "I voted" sticker with pride.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QUhwA-C-ACg
This is for you, Kristin.




5 comments:
"No more the meek and mild subservients we!
We're fighting for our rights, militantly!
Never you fear!"
-best movie of all time
Ok so maybe Luke is the one fighting militantly, but way to go sister suffragette. Oh and let's watch Marry Poppins sometime soon!
Soooo....glad I read this before I went to vote because
1. Now I will go for SURE.
2. I won't worry about Hamilton making a fuss...his cousin did, why shouldn't he?
3. I will be extra grateful for the easy-to-find Jewish center (I'm normally at the hidden places, too).
4. I got a happy reminder that I'm NOT an active English teacher right now.
4. I'll remember to bring some bread to feed any birds along the way.
What a supercalafragilisticexpealidocious post!
I can't believe I married a feminist... women's rights to vote...
what is this progressive world coming to:)
wow. how did we miss this? you have had your own blog all this time! man. and it's got politics, a connors family fav topic. Incidentally, we had a pretty similar voting exerience in farmington.
We MUST meet soon. this weekend? next? next? all of the above? if this blog helps us keep in touch with you guys the internet will be evelated to "greatest innovation in the history of mankind," as far as we're concerned.
I hope your dad didn't happen to read this post, Heidi. I don't think it would make him want to go fly a kite.
Post a Comment