Travis says I always have a bee in my bonnet. After 6+ years of marriage, I'm starting to realize that he is right. I am a beekeeper. I love projects, I love learning new things, and I love creating things. So, I decided to start a blog to chronicle my latest "bees" as kind of a project scrapbook. The only bad thing is that it will explicitly show how much I jump from one "bee" to the next, giving Travis concrete evidence that I am a little crazy and create fun but unnecessary projects.
I decided to call my blog "the bee's knees" because I love the phrase. It's cool, timeless, and it rhymes! Until I did a token google on the phrase, I didn't know a bee had knees. Apparently it has pollen baskets or "corbiculae" on the midsegments of its legs, where it can carry pollen back to the hive. In the late 1700's, the "bee's knee" was used to define something small or insignificant. In the 1920's, it evolved into a hip phrase meaning the height of excellence. So my postings are things I think are the bee's knees - small and insignificant, but still fun and top-notch.
Interesting side-note: Other phrases tried to come on the scene, but didn't last (probably because they are weird and awkward) such as: the eel's ankle, the elephant's instep, the snake's hip, the flea's eyebrows, and the canary's tusks. Weird!




6 comments:
It is an honor to be your first comment. You are definitely the bee's knees in my book. the height of excellence. The treidi blog was meant for both of us, hence the combination of our names. But I understand that you need to spread you wings and fly!
Keep keepin on bee keeper i look forward to many entertaining entries.
PS-that photo of you took a lot of work with bees on you and all but it came out nicely and was well worth the effort.
Nice, Heidi has a blog...I am so glad you will showcase your projects so I can do what I do best-copy! (This is Angie)
So... I'm uncultured if I've never heard the phrase "the bee's knees"?
Travis - my face is finally going down from all the swelling. It was definitely worth a few bee stings to get that picture. As far as the blog goes, I don't want to embarrass your clever, finely written blog with weird phrases and crazy pictures.
Angie - I'm just trying to copy you, supermom!
Marc - Seriously? One of the smartest people I know hasn't heard of "the bee's knees"? I'm glad I could introduce you to the phrase. Now you will be extra cool.
You apparently need to meet more people :P Happy to have you introduce me to more arcane but cool phrases though.
Post a Comment