OK, so I know that canning fruit sounds nerdy, old fashioned, economically a waste of time, but I just learned how and I think it is awesome! There is a fruit stand down the street from my house that sells the best fruit and I bought about 75 pounds (gulp!) of peaches and pears. Travis was a good sport, but a sudden migration of fruit flies made sure that canning will be a yearly project, at most.
Whitney, here is the recipe for the Harry & David's Pepper Relish (it's delicious mixed with cream cheese and served with tortilla chips!)
3 cups tomatoes, skinned, diced and drained
3 cups red peppers, diced
3 1/2 cups sugar
2 T salt
1 small box pectin
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 T fresh ground chili paste
2 jalepenos, seeded and diced
2 onions, diced
Mix all ingredients together, except pectin. Bring to a boil. Turn down to low/med heat and simmer for 2 hours until thickened. Whisk in the box of pectin and boil for 1 minute.




3 comments:
I HATE FRUIT FLIES!!!
THEY WERE EVERYWHERE.... ARGHHHHH
I am so glad you like canning! It is my favorite. I did tomato juice and peaches this year...I wish I would have done more. I love it. I feel like my grandma looks down on me and is so proud. (even though it isn't that thrifty to can anymore :)
Congrats BTW.
Thanks, Ang. Travis said you called when you saw Kate's blog. You are so nice!
Post a Comment