Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Music and Free Stuff


Here are my favorite songs that get me up & on the treadmill in the morning. In the winter months, the songs have to be really good to get me out of my snugly "Grandma Spencer blanket".

1. Time to Pretend - MGMT

2. She's Got Me Dancing - Tommy Sparks
aka, the ipod commercial song

3. I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man) - Kenny Loggins
A recent trip to Tuachann Theater in St. George with some fun and sassy ladies made me revive the Footloose soundtrack, a favorite in the Ghent household growing up

4. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - Michael Jackson
A shout out to the ever-weird and ever-talented MJ

5. Electric Feel - MGMT
Miles and Luke love this song. Thanks for finding it, Travis

6. Struttin' - 45
7. Jump Around - House of Pain
A classic

8. 20 Dollar - MIA
Still love all her songs...

9. Deny - DJ Motive
Reminiscent of George Benson or "the Demo Song" on our old keyboard, both my mom's favorites.

10. Coal War - Joshua James
Like this guy a lot. So do the people on NPR. So does John Connors, need I say more? He hails from Provo.

11. Whatcha Want - Beastie Boys
I still remember the first time I heard this song. I was very nerdy 12 year old visiting my very cool cousins who were in high school. My cousin, Adam, was a big time drummer, and he was playing this song on his stereo in his basement, drumming along to the beat. The Beastie Boys and I began a long, wonderful relationship.

12. The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
For Whitney and Stevie Nicks

13. Fall In Step - Jaydiohead
Still think Jay Z is the greatest rapper, add a little Radiohead, and you've got some cool, weird stuff.

14. Touched - Vast
A little "butt-rocker", but I have great memories of this song in college. Thank, Shar!

OK, so if you want some cool exercise tunes AND a bunch of random workout stuff from RACE TRI, leave a comment and I'll do a random pick and you'll get a sweet package in the mail (or hand delivered, perhaps?). Don't be shy, I love all commenters.

PS - Want to run less and improve your running time? A recent study found that if you do 6-12 30-second sprints 3-4 times per week AND reduce your training volume by 25%, you can run significantly faster in you next running race. Read the abstract here. I love those endurance geeks in Copenhagen.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok...I love this. Have been in search of some good new music for my running mix this week. Answer to my prayers really! :) ha ha

kathryn said...

I would like my package delivered by four little hands please.
When I ran the half marathon earlier this year your dad wanted to download the music on my ipod for me. He chose great energetic music which really helped, but then Muskrat Love by America began to play. I was dying at this point and this slow ballad reinforced that feeling.
I forgot about the Demo Song, I should have copied it before I gave the keyboard to DI.

john said...

Jump Around!?! So good.
great list Heidi, as usual.
we will see you soon.

Whitney Rice said...

Whatcha want is on my playlist too! Oh and Stevie is the best... it's amazing how Fleetwood Mac can pump you up or put you at ease. On my wedding day I was stressed because I was late to the temple and then Stevie's voice came on the radio... it was the sound of angels.

john said...

mason jennings Nov. 14th.

kate said...

So looking forward to my own copy of this mix delivered by the same hands as the ones heading to Kathryn's house (no worries about the workout gear...already got a little hooked up). :) It will be a great combo of music I already love (MGMT, old school MJ) and ones I know I will. There is something so freeing about a workout mix...definitely gets me out of my snootier music tendencies.

Oh...and totally intrigued with a Jay-Z/Radiohead combo...like all those boys....a lot.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi! SO are we going to see you guys tomorrow? I really hope so. You would be so proud. I now get up every morning and go running. I left Trav a message. I hope you guys get it. Hopefully we will see you tomorrow!