Saturday, July 25, 2009

Downtown, things will be great when you're...


I took a little field trip to the Los Angeles Wholesale Produce Market and Flower Mart this morning. Even though LA can be dirty, and sometimes a little scary, I still love it. I got up at 5am to hit the last hour of the market (it opens at 2am for all you insomniacs out there). I guess this is where grocery stores, restaurants get a lot of their produce. When I was really little, my parents were in a food co-op and used to come here to buy produce, obviously B.C. (Before Costco). I loved to watch the hustle and bustle of forklifts, people bartering and finding the best deals, and just seeing how the whole process works.

After that, we went over to the flower mart. Amazing flowers at insane prices. Orchids are my favorite, and they had row after row of huge double stemmed, potted orchids for only $9!

The other day, I went down to the fashion district and fabric district. I found a little hole in the wall place in an upstairs loft that sold fabric for $2 a pound. I got about 18 yards of different fabric for only $10. Now I only need to learn how to sew. Next time I'm taking my grandma. Beverly would have a hay day digging through barrels of fabric.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So jealous.
Ironically...I was just talking to my friend that lives in LA on Saturday afternoon. She said she made her hubby get up super early to ride their bikes there.
The fabric place sounds so so fun!

kate said...

Ok...I've got to take advantage of LA more. And the idea of driving downtown with no traffic might be enough to get me up that early.

LOVE the photo collage.

Cheri said...

How do I never know about such cool things?

Hey, saw this skirt and thought of you (just because of its name if nothing else):
https://www.downeastbasics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=678

Ashley C. said...

so fun. you are the coolest. we miss you guys. lets schedule our next hang out.

sterlingandbrandi said...

I LOVE our pictures Heidi - thanks! Now I just have to decide between them...

Hey I just saw the wheat pictures - they are so cute - I like how Travis is sitting squarely in front of the swan.

kathryn said...

Yesterday I repeated our downtown adventure with grandma and Aunt Gwenyth.